Call or text 800.555.4242

Do You Need Insurance When Rehabbing Your Investment Property?


Having the correct insurance coverage is an often-overlooked aspect of starting a rehabbing project, after investing in a new rental property.

Building an addition or making renovations may leave you without adequate insurance coverage or could expose you to unexpected liabilities. Before you start your project, take a moment and consult with your insurance professional, it could save you a lot of money. 

Homeowners Insurance Adjustments

Depending on the size and scope of your remodel, your insurance professional may recommend changing some of the limits on your homeowners’ insurance policy. Depending on how you purchased the property, it may not be a homeowner’s policy.

For example, it may be a good idea to increase the building and liability protection on your home during the course of the project.


Your Contractor’s Insurance

After reviewing your own insurance coverage, it is also important to check the insurance of your contractor or home remodeling company. Ensuring the general contractor has the proper insurance is very important. By hiring an improperly insured contractor, you can be vulnerable to a lawsuit should someone be injured during your remodel.

The amount of liability insurance your contractor needs will vary. It is dependent on a number of factors including amount and type of work being completed. You will want to ensure the contractor has at least general liability and workers comp insurance.

If the general contractor is planning to use any subcontractors during the project, you will need to check the coverage of those subcontractors. If an employee of the subcontractor is not a full-time employee and is injured, he may not be covered by anyone’s workers compensation insurance.

General Contracting Yourself

If you are planning to act as your own general contractor, be sure to mention this to your insurance person. Depending on your state, acting as a general contractor on a home improvement project could subject you to additional liabilities. If you do act as a general contractor, you may want to consider purchasing a builder’s risk policy for the duration of the project.

About US

We are a real estate investment services company specializing in off-market real estate in Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, North Carolina, and Florida.

None of the content on this blog should be considered investment advice. Always due your own due diligence.